|In the morning, cool air falls off the mountains. At night |
warm air rises up the slope. Both actions are helpful
if you want to try life without AC.
2. Plant trees near enough the house to block the sun from the windows. For best results, start 20 years before you need shade.
3. Have at least one window that opens on every side of the house.
4. Invest in fans.
5. Get a dog--preferably one that will take a leg off of any idiot who tries to climb through a window. I recommend blue heelers, but any cow dog works.
6. Open the house up every night. On hot nights, turn on the fans. On the hottest nights, turn the fans on "high" and channel lukewarm air though the house until morning. Work with the prevailing breeze, if there is one. If there isn't, resign yourself to a hot day in the morning, despite everything you do.
7. Close the house up after sunrise. Threaten to lock out family members who leave the door open.
8. Prepare to be uncomfortably warm from early evening until the sun sets, when you go back to step 6.